Happy 2017! At least I think it’s “happy”? The rotting orange peel with tiny hands might be hurtling us towards the apocalypse so let’s keep our minds off that and focus on good, actual happy things. Things like our healthy, beautiful, still-alive bodies.
The start of a new year seems to always push us to improve our health. I have a few diet/nutritional supplements I like to use that will make your body feel great while providing awesome beauty benefits. Let’s get to it.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has a billion health, cooking, cleaning and beauty uses. Seriously. Here’s how I use it in my beauty routine:
- Put a tiny bit of ACV on a cotton ball and use as a toner. Especially great for oily skin.
- Mix ACV with Aztec Clay for a super powerful, deep cleansing face mask.
- Spray on hair post-shampoo for soft, shiny locks. Or, mix ¼ cup ACV with 2 cups water for a rinse that will restore the natural pH level of the scalp and remove product buildup.
As we age, the body’s natural collagen production slows down. Sad but true. Thankfully we live in the future and can go on the internet machine and order a tin of powdered collagen from Amazon whenever we please. I put a couple scoops in my coffee every morning and can’t even taste it. What exactly does collagen do for beauty? So glad you asked:
- Collagen can help reverse signs of aging and increase skin elasticity and moisture.
- Helps reduce the appearance of cellulite! As we keep making trips around the sun, structural changes take place in the skin that weaken and decrease collagen production, leading to the more prevalent appearance of cellulite. Taking collagen as a supplement can help. Thank God.
- Collagen helps speed up hair and nail growth.
Those are some strong looking nails amirite
On the health benefit side, collagen improves digestion, supports joint and bone health and is a good source of protein. I’m a fan of the Great Lakes Gelatin brand because I’m a sucker for all things Great Lakes (aka Michigan) related.
Speaking of protein, a few scoops of whey protein powder in a smoothie, shake or oatmeal, several times per week, can have serious beauty benefits:
- Adequate amounts of protein are crucial for healthy and strong skin, hair and nails.
- Protein helps build lean muscle and accelerates metabolism to keep that body looking A+
I’m the type of person who prefers not to eat any type of seafood. Ever. I will pass up sushi for Taco Bell every day of the week. I know, so classy, such sophistication. But – there are tons of health and beauty benefits from eating fish and I don’t want to miss out on the party. Enter fish oil capsules. Aside from helping keep the heart healthy, fish oil can up your beauty game:
- The fatty acids in fish oil supply hydration to skin, help reduce inflammation and work to ward off acne and wrinkles.
- The omega-3 fatty acids also protect skin against sun damage and nourish hair follicles.
- If you’re like me and abuse your hair with dyes, chemicals and extensions (whoops), fish oil provides strength and shine to fragile or weakened hair.
Multivitamin + Biotin
Can’t forget about the classic, the OG, the multivitamin. Since I am eternally 12 years old, I’m all about the gummy vitamins but any multivitamin will do. Although my mutli contains biotin, I’m a “more is more” kind of person and take a biotin capsule every day, too. Here’s why:
- Biotin is crucial for healthy, strong nails and hair. My nails grow crazy fast when I’m on top of my biotin regimen.
- A multivitamin helps fill in the nutritional gaps from your diet. And for someone like me who eats pizza more times per week than vegetables, that’s important. Having the right balance of vitamins and minerals in the body promotes overall health and when you feel good, you look good.
I promise that I did my Googles for this post and it’s all true, but try these supplements out for yourself and see what you think. Here’s to a happy and beautiful 2017!